I was really excited to be able to see the third falls on Shay’s Run. Sometimes when I read descriptions of waterfalls, I get these impressions that the waterfalls are extremely difficult to get to. And I’m always impressed when their relatively easier to visit than I expected.
When I begin to think about it more, they end up becoming some of my favorite waterfalls, and I think this one might rank up there somewhere. While it’s not tall and doesn’t have a huge amount of water flowing over it, it is VERY scenic and photogenic. I had so much fun getting the different shots of the falls. There is another side view of the falls that provides an equally interesting, and yet completely different perspective.
1) Head toward Davis/Thomas, WV on WV-32. Once in either town, you should see signs for Blackwater Falls State Park. Follow the signs!
2) Instead of heading toward Blackwater Falls proper, head toward the Blackwater Lodge.
3) Park in the parking area for Blackwater Lodge near the left edge of the lodge (if you’re viewing it from the front). If you walk just a few feet from the parking lot, you should find the trail leading to the falls.
4) After a short distance, you will find a bridge crossing Shay’s Run, and you’ll be able to see the first falls. Cross the bridge. It is much less complicated to hike down that side of the river, as there is a clearer trail there.
5) Heading downhill, you should be able to get a good view of the first falls after a short distance. Keep heading downhill on what appears to be a somewhat well worn trail to see the 2nd and 3rd falls. Bug spray and hiking shoes are essential.
Accessibility: 4/10 (to 3rd falls)
Where in the World is Elakala Falls #3?: map