I thought I had posted about Wequiock Falls earlier in the year, but here we are. In June, we went to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and ended up in the “thumb” of the UP. I was trying to decide how to get home and figured I would take the ferry from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI. We drove down to Green Bay for the night. I knew there were a few waterfalls in the area.
Depending on the Google maps source, it was reported that Wequiock Falls was closed, but it wasn’t. Unless the path is blocked off, I’m not sure how the park could be closed. There isn’t much infrastructure there to close. After reading a Google review, I expected the park to be trashed, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it was pretty clean. There were some fast food wrappers before we got to the stairs that lead down to a view of the falls, but it wasn’t what I would classify as trashed. Someone may have shown up at a time where someone hadn’t cleaned up in a while?
Getting to the parking area for the falls is pretty easy, and then hiking to the falls is also not very complicated. There are some stairs that lead down to a viewing area. The viewing area is not great for viewing the falls, and so we walked closer to the falls.
We visited on June 21, 2022, and I guess much of the water from snowmelt had already found it’s way to Lake Michigan…There wasn’t a whole lot of water flowing over the falls. I think it had rained the day before (or hours before), but it still wasn’t a lot. It may benefit you to go in early spring or after a really good rainfall.
- From Green Bay, head east/northeast on WI-57 (toward what we’ll call the thumb of Wisconsin).
- After a few miles, you’ll reach the intersection of WI-57 and VanLaanen Road. If you’re headed east, you’ll turn left onto VanLaanen Road.
- The parking area for the falls is a very sharp right after you turn. There are signs to indicate where you should head.
- After parking, you’ll head a bit further east. You should be able to see a smaller bridge that leads over a creek. You’ll be passing over the falls.
- You’ll head a 100-200 feet along that path and then you’ll come to a staircase. The staircase will lead you down to the creek. There is a viewing deck that’s not that great.
- You can head upstream. I didn’t find it to be difficult.
Accessibility: 10/10 (easy)
Distance of Hike: 0.1 miles round trip
Where in the World is Wequiock Falls?