So first off, this waterfall is actually bigger than what it appears in the picture, though it’s still not that tall. I’m really bad at guessing heights, but I would say it was at least 30′ tall…maybe a little shorter or taller. It’s the Hungarian River at one of it’s wider points, as the width of the river changes at each of the different falls.
Upper Hungarian Falls is one of the more interesting falls on the river. There are a total of five or six falls in that immediate area, and Upper Hungarian Falls, the furthest falls upstream, does not disappoint. The actual hike to the falls is very beautiful, though the terrain is a little uneven. Once you get to Upper Hungarian Falls, you do have to do some careful “sliding” to get to the base, as the slope is moderately steep.
1) You’ll be driving along M-26 toward Hubell, MI.
2) In the outskirts of Hubell (if there can be outskirts in such a small town), turn onto Sixth Street.
3) Sixth Street will dead end, but to the left is a dirt road named Golf Course Rd. Take the road to the left.
4) You will go up a hill, and the road will flatten out a little bit.
5) Here’s the confusing part…As you’re driving on Golf Course Road, you will pass a number of dirt roads on the left. I got confused by the directions I was following and ended up turning onto the first road ON THE LEFT after a pile of rubble and a gate. The connection to the road was not even, so go slowly!
6) From there, I headed down that road to the end, where there is a turn-around. Park here.
7) From here, you will connect onto the trail to your right. Where I parked, if I walked straight instead of to the right, I hit what looked like the remains of an old bridge…
8 ) From the trail, Upper Hungarian Falls is the furthest of the falls from that parking area. You will pass numerous other waterfalls and even a manmade falls.
*There are also other parking areas that will lead to Upper Hungarian Falls more quickly, though parking there then makes Lower Hungarian Falls further away. You choose.
Where in the World is Upper Hungarian Falls?: map