As I was just looking at the name, the picture, and the map of this waterfall, I couldn’t exactly remember any vivid details about this waterfall. And then it clicked, Lower Busby Falls is a waterfall that is honestly passed without being able to get very close and personal, and that will likely affect how you recall this waterfall.
This waterfall is found along a very enjoyable trail just north of Tullahoma, Tennessee in the Short Springs Natural Area. When I visited in early January, the weather was very enjoyable. As you’re walking along the trail, if you go in a loop, you’ll pass Lower Busby Falls. You’re standing above the waterfall as you view it, and there’s a pretty steep drop that prevents you from getting any closer. So I shot a few pictures of the falls and then went further along the trail. (The same is mostly true for Upper Busby Falls.) The real attraction here is Machine Falls, which is truly beautiful and also is much more personal. So to keep it sweet and short, Lower Busby Falls isn’t the top bill here, but more like a bonus waterfall that you get to add to your list.
- If you’re on US-41A in the very center of Tullahoma, you’d head northwest for just a few blocks to E. Hogan Street and take a right.
- Drive along E. Hogan Street for a few blocks until you reach Country Club Drive on your left. Turn left.
- Drive along Country Club Drive and keep going. It will turn into Short Springs Road. You’ll drive for a few miles along this road.
- It’s hard to miss the parking area for the waterfall. If you’re on the correct road, you’ll come to a white water tower on your right. Immediately after this tower is the parking area for Short Springs Natural Area (also on your right).
- Park here and safely cross the road. The trail starts here. Veer left onto the Bobo Creek Trail. Upper and Lower Busby Falls are along Bobo Creek, which will be to your left.
Accessibility: 8/10 (easy/moderate)
Hike: 1.6 miles round-trip (to see Upper/Lower Busby and Machine Falls)
Where in the World is Lower Busby Falls?