There are a number of waterfalls in the Dayton area, and in the town of Yellow Springs, you’ll find a few smaller waterfalls. They’re part of the Glen Helen Nature Preserve, which I found to be a very nice and enjoyable little park. (It’s surprisingly easy to get lost at the park, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.)
The Cascades would probably be classified as the main attraction at the preserve, as they’re very scenic, though not particularly tall. Grotto Falls is a bit of a surprise, as I wasn’t sure how many waterfalls I’d encounter. This isn’t a large waterfall, but it was still nice to stumble upon it!
- Head into the town of Yellow Springs. (There are a number of ways to enter, so I’ll let you figure that part out.)
- From the downtown area, head south on Corry Street.
- Turn left in the parking area, which is found at 405 Corry Street.
- At the parking area, pay the entrance fee. Then start heading along the main trail, which will head downhill.
- It may help to have this map, since the trail system can be confusing.
Accessibility: 7/10 (easy/moderate)
Length of Hike: ~ 1 mile round-trip (though you might be able to get to this waterfall a bit quicker by taking a different path that I took)
Where in the World is The Cascades at Glen Helen?