After our road trip from Nevada to Michigan, I started teaching and didn’t get to write about some of the other waterfalls we stopped to visit along the way. So now it’s time to catch up a bit! We stopped at waterfalls in Utah and Colorado, and then drove into Kansas. Kansas doesn’t have many waterfalls on the west side of the state, but there are definitely a few on the east side of the state.
One that is relatively easy to visit off of the interstate is Geary Lake Falls, which is found in the Geary State Fishing Lake and Wildlife Area. Once you find the parking area, which isn’t difficult, it’s an easy hike to the falls. From other articles, it seemed like it was steep hike to the falls, but it was more of just slippery as you approached the falls.
The falls were definitely flowing when we arrived, and the falls were surprisingly pretty. (I wasn’t sure what to expect.) The one thing that you’ll find in other waterfall seekers’ descriptions of Geary Lake Falls is the snakes…There are definitely water snakes found in the ponds and stream below the falls. While I’m not a big fan of snakes, they don’t bother me so much and I went on photographing the falls. My partner, on the other hand, is not a big fan of snakes and it bothered him.
- From I-70 near Junction City, take exit 295 for US-77.
- Head south on US-77 for just over 7 miles to Geary Lake.
- The waterfall is located in the northwest part of the wildlife area, so to get closer to the falls, you want to turn left on the first road that leads into Geary Lake. On Google Maps, this is named State Lake Road.
- Take State Lake Road to its end. You should find a parking area here. If you look downhill, you’ll see a path that leads you along the northern edge of the lake. This path leads you to the waterfall.
- Follow that path along the lake. When you reach the end of that specific path, you’ll see another path heading downhill. Go downhill and follow that, and you’ll arrive at the falls!
Accessibility: 9/10 (easy)
Length of Hike: 0.5 miles round-trip
Where in the World is Geary Lake Falls?