Hickory Canyon is an impressive place to find waterfalls in Missouri. I’ll refer you to Hickory Canyon Falls, which is the main waterfall in the Natural Area.
As you’re wandering around at the right time, after a good rainfall, you’re likely to find some other waterfalls in the Hickory Canyon Natural Area. On one side of Sprott Road, which passes through the natural area, you’ll find the “main” falls, and possibly one of these smaller waterfalls I noticed. On the other side of the road, there is a hiking trail which is a 1 mile loop. That’s where I found another waterfall. I have to admit, I’m not specifically sure where these two side-falls were, so that will be the fun adventure if you decide to visit.
There is some elevation change in the natural area, so be careful when exploring. It is a somewhat isolated place on a gravel road. When I visited the falls in 2013, I knew of Mina Sauk Falls, but now with Google and Google Maps being even more accessible, there are a few other similar and/or smaller waterfalls in the vicinity. I think it’s really dependent on visiting after a good rainfall.
- Driving along I-55, take exit 150.
- Drive along MO-32, heading west. You’ll drive for about 8 miles.
- Turn right on County Road C. This turn is somewhat abrupt, so pay attention! Drive about 3 miles or so to Sprott Road.
- Turn left onto Sprott Road (the only option!). Head just less than 2 miles down the road. There will be a parking area on the left. This parking area is almost impossible to miss. It’s the only real clearing along most of the road (before arriving at houses later on the road).
- The trail to the falls is at the left edge of the parking area. The other, longer trail is found on the opposite side of the road. Both are marked with signs.
(Sprott Road can also be accessed from County Road EE. The drive to the parking area is just less than 2 miles.)
Accessibility: 6/10 (moderate, some steep parts)
Height: both around 20′
Length of Hike: 1.5 miles round-trip
Where in the World are the Hickory Canyon Side-Falls?