I guess Mosquito Falls might get left to the wayside. In the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, there are other more interesting waterfalls than this one. Even so, if you’re checking out Chapel Falls or Chapel Beach, you can visit Mosquito Falls. There are multiple interconnecting trails that lead to these falls and others.
Mosquito Falls has two distinct drops on the Mosquito River. Both of them are only 4-5′ tall. The upper falls can be viewed better (more directly), while the lower falls is viewed from above, or at least at less photogenic angle. The hike to the falls is enjoyable, though I remember it being muddy and slippery…not steep at all, but muddy and slippery.
- From Munising, head east on H-58. Head about 16-17 miles on H-58 going east.
- You’ll pass through a town called Melstrand. A mile or two after that, you’ll come upon a sign indicating the entrance to the Chapel Area of the Pictured Rocks.
- You’ll turn left on that road, Chapel Road.
- You’ll head five or six miles down Chapel Road. Stay on Chapel Road, which is not paved for much of the way.
- Chapel Road will end at the parking area that leads to Mosquito Falls, Chapel Falls, Lower Chapel Falls, and Chapel Rock.
- The direct trial to Mosquito Falls is the trail furthest to the left, I believe. Check the signs if you are in doubt. The signs clearly direct you to which trail leads where. The trail to Mosquito Falls is about 0.8 miles one way.
***If you don’t mind a longer hike, I think you can do a loop hike, passing by Mosquito Falls, connecting onto the North Country Trail and then reconnecting onto the Chapel Falls Trail. The North Country Trail will follow the Lake Superior shoreline.
***Also, if you listen as you begin your hike to Mosquito Falls, you may hear another waterfall. I guess there’s a “hidden” one near the beginning of the trail, though at that time, I didn’t explore further. I did hear the waterfall, though.
Accessibility: 7/10 (Easy/Moderate)
Height: 4′ (lower), 4′ (upper)
Length of Hike: 1.6 miles round-trip
Where in the World is Mosquito Falls?