I would say that this waterfall is hidden in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, but that’s not entirely correct. I’m sure many people have seen Lower Chapel Falls as they finish their hike to Chapel Beach. Lower Chapel Falls is not listed on the list of falls in the park, though they have been reported online. I’m not sure why, as it’s a very pretty waterfall.
I love how this waterfall is essentially flowing into Lake Superior. It adds a certain amount of beauty to the falls. While you’re hiking to the falls, you’ll also pass Chapel Rock, a very interesting rock formation. You’ll also see great views of the Pictured Rocks as the rocks jut out of Lake Superior. The only reason this area is not visited more is likely that it is a 3+ mile hike to the beach. Along the way, you’ll also see Chapel Falls, the much larger waterfall also found on the Chapel River.
1) From Munising, head east on H-58. Head about 16-17 miles on H-58 going east.
2) You’ll pass through a town called Melstrand. A mile or two after that, you’ll come upon a sign indicating the entrance to the Chapel Area of the Pictured Rocks.
3) You’ll turn left on that road, Chapel Rd.
4) You’ll head five or six miles down Chapel Rd. Stay on Chapel Road, which is not paved for much of the way.
5) Chapel Road will end at the parking area that leads to Mosquito Falls, Chapel Falls, Little Chapel Falls, and Chapel Rock.
6) The trailhead furthest to the right leads to Chapel Falls, Lower Chapel Falls, and Chapel Beach. Lower Chapel Falls is found at the end of the 3+ mile hike.
Where in the World is Lower Chapel Falls?: map