In DuPont State Forest in North Carolina, there are multiple different waterfalls to be found. Some of them are along more trails that are more complicated to navigate, but three are found along one of the main trails. Hooker Falls, Triple Falls, and High Falls are all found along the Little River.
High Falls is my favorite of the three falls, though each of them are great in their own right. Of the three waterfalls, High Falls is the most difficult of the waterfalls to get to along the river. Hooker Falls is extremely easy to visit. Triple Falls is more difficult because of the incline. After passing Triple Falls, you keep heading up the steep incline to High Falls, which means you will be tired out at the end, and your legs will be burning. Even so, it is definitely worth it!!!! If you continue on past High Falls, there are more waterfalls, though I decided not to do that.
- You’re going to want to get on US-64 heading south of Brevard. (Head north on US-64 if you’re coming from South Carolina.)
- Turn right on Crab Creek Rd. and head 4.3 miles to Dupont Rd.
- Turn right on Dupont Road, which is also called Station Road in places.
- Go for a ways until you cross the Little River. During busy times of the year, you’ll realize that right near the bridge is the parking area for the falls. You can also park on the side of the road.
- The trail to Triple Falls and High Falls starts across the road from the parking area.
Accessibility: 4/10 (moderate/strenuous)
Length of Hike: 1.2 miles round-trip
Where in the World is High Falls?
4 thoughts on “High Falls, North Carolina”
There is a much easier access to High Falls from the access area now named “High Falls Access” on Staton Road. It is about half a mile further up the hill from the Little River Bridge and the overused Hooker Falls Access. From High Falls Access, you can see High Falls with a 12-15 easy walk on gently rolling gravel and dirt roads.
Thanks for the info!
I find High Falls especially beautiful from the base, there is a side trail that leads down to that. The next waterfall upstream is Bridal Veil Falls. It is an amazing waterfall, and very unique.
I agree. The view from the base is really spectacular. I wanted to continue up to the next set of falls, but I was worn out after the pretty steep hike to High Falls (and a number of other falls in the area).