When is 18 feet not 18 feet? When it’s a waterfall in Wisconsin. The three waterfalls named 8-Foot, 12-Foot, and 18-Foot falls are all not necessarily the height in their name. Twelve-Foot Falls gets the closest to its name. Now maybe there are some explanations…? It could be that we’re not seeing all of the drops, though I’m not really convinced about that. It could be how long it takes for the falls to drop whatever height they are.
No matter whether it’s 18 feet tall or not, it’s still a pretty little waterfall. It’s an enjoyable hike to the falls, and it’s rather short too. It’s near the other two length falls and Horseshoe Falls, which is not that tall, but does form the shape of a horseshoe. They are all found on very passable dirt roads in rather unexpected places in Wisconsin.
1) From US-141 in Wisconsin in Marinette County, take a left on Beecher Lake Rd.
2) Turn on Smeester School Rd.
3) Turn left on Trout Haven Rd.
4) Turn right onto Twelve Foot Falls Road.
5) Instead of turning at the sign for Twelve Foot Falls, keep going for about 1/2 more mile.
6) At the fork in the road, take the right fork.
7) At the first turn, take a right toward the sign for Eighteen Foot Falls. You will end at a dead end parking area which leads quickly to the falls.
Where in the World is Eighteen Foot Falls?: map